Listening to some popular business speakers, you’d think customer experience work is glamorous. It’s all about making customers happy…so what could be more fun than that? Personal attention, better customer service, and boom: happier customers. Why not just add a little something extra? Why not just smile more? C’mon – have some fun! Your customers will love you for it.
* Applause. *
Psst…can I tell you the dirty little secret? It’s not that sexy. It’s not that glamorous or fun some days. It’s real work.
And yet, time and again, companies devalue the real work of customer experience by talking, thinking some more, discussing endlessly and yet never assigning real action to it.
There are real activities to move the talk of a superior customer experience into action. Activities that require fortitude, dedication and most of all, honesty.
Next time someone wants to discuss the customer experience of your organization, I challenge you to ask one of the following questions:
- What have customers said recently? Do we have real responses from customers to review?
- Why are our customers leaving for the competition?
- How does this compare to what we expect to happen, based on the customer experience journey map? (Don’t have one? That’s a good place to start on action.)
- What have we learned recently by listening to the social channels?
- How does our retention rate compare with last month/quarter/year?
- What should we learn from experiences outside of our industry?
Each one of these questions is actually about action you should be taking to stay on top of your customer experience strategy. It’s not a one-off thing or something to think about, it’s something to do consistently.
Consistently taking action on a customer experience strategy is as vital to your business as tracking financials, yet so many organizations skip this completely. Are you on track to deliver? What’s missing to DO? Get to it!
Photo credit: Will Vanlue via Creative Commons license